Friday 11 August 2023

TELEPHONING IN ENGLISH - TAKING AND LEAVING SPOKEN MESSAGE


TELEPHONING IN ENGLISH - TAKING AND LEAVING SPOKEN MESSAGE


 

 

SOCIAL FUNCTION

To keep the good social relationship in work places by asking and sending spoken message.

 

 

SOME EXPRESSIONS IN TELEPHONING

Answering Call (Receiver)

  1. Good morning, This is Jhon. May I ask who is calling?
  2. Good afternoon, thank you for calling Jaya Company. This is Jhon. How can I help you
  3. Hello, JAYA Company. Can I help you?
  4. Hello, Jhon speaking. Can I Help You?
  5. Hello, This is Jhon. Who is calling please?
  6. Who’s speaking, please?

 

Greeting and Introducing your self (caller)

  1. Hello, This is Auren from UTAMI JAYA.
  2. This is Auren, I am calling about the electricity bills.
  3. Hello, This is Jhon.

 

Asking for a Person

  1. Can/Could I speak to Mr. Jhon?
  2. May I speak to Mrs. Jhon?
  3. I’d like to talk with Mr. Black
  4. Is Diana available?
  5. Is Diana free?

 

 

Putting someone on hold

  1. Can I put you on hold for a moment, please?
  2. Would you mind holding for a moment, please? I will see if she is available
  3. Hold on a second / moment, please.
  4. Just a second/ moment.
  5. Hang on.
  6. Hold the line please.


Wrong number

  1. I am sorry, I think you reach the wrong number.
  2. I’m afraid you got the wrong number.
  3. I am afraid you’ve dialed the wrong number.
  4. You must have called the wrong number.
  5. I am sorry I have dialed the wrong number.


If somebody is not available

  1. I’m afraid she is not in at the moment.
  2. I am sorry. She isn’t available at the moment.
  3. I’m sorry. Mr. Jhon is in a meeting right now.
  4. She is away at the moment.

 

Some Expressions of Taking Message

  1. Can I take a message?
  2. Would you like to leave a message?
  3. If I can take your name and number, I’ll ask him to call you back.
  4. Just a moment, I’ll write that down for her.
  5. Okay.  Just a second. I’ll get a pen and some notes for her.
  6. Let me make a note of that so I can pass your message to her.
  7. Okay, I’ll make sure that she gets your message.

 

Some Expressions of Leaving Message

  1. Can/Could you tell him that …
  2. Can/Could you ask her to …
  3. Can/Could you take a message?
  4. Can/Could you ask him to call me back?
  5. Can/Could you tell her I called?
  6. So, I think that’s everything. Thanks
  7. May I leave a message?
  8. Would it be possible to leave a message?

 

Clarifying and Asking for Repetition

  1. I am sorry, I did not catch that. Could you please repeat yourself?
  2. I am sorry, do you mean to say …
  3. Just to clarify, you said …
  4. Would you mind spelling that for me?
  5. Would you mind speaking a little more slowly?
  6. I am sorry. Could you repeat that?
  7. Can you spell that?


Ending Your call

  1. Thank you for calling. I will make sure to give him the message.
  2. Thanks for calling and have a great day/nice day.
  3. It was great to chat. I will talk to you again.

 

IN TELEPHONING, PLEASE PAY ATTENTION TO…

  • Who is calling?
  • Who is receiving the phone call?
  • To whom does the caller want to speak?
  • Is the person (he/she wants to speak to) available?
  • What does the receiver should do?
  • What is the purpose of the call?

 

EXAMPLE AND EXERCISE 1 - LEAVING MESSAGE

Receiver          : Good morning, MOMO COMPANY. How can I help you?

Caller               : Good morning. This is Mr. White. May I speak Mrs. Clara?

Receiver          : I am sorry. She is in a meeting right now. Would you like to leave a message?

Caller               : Yes, please tell her to call me back this afternoon.

Receiver          :  Okay, I’ll make sure that she gets your message.

 

Answer these questions based on the phone call 1 above!

  1. Who is calling?
  2.  Who is receiving the phone call?
  3. To whom does the caller want to speak?
  4. Is the person (he/she wants to speak to) available?
  5. Does the caller leave a message? What is the message?
  6. What is the purpose of the call?

 

EXAMPLE AND EXERCISE 2 - LEAVING MESSAGE

Caller               : Hello, Am I speaking to HAWA UNIVERSITY?

Receiver          : Yes, can I help you?

Caller               : Sure. Could I speak to Mr. Adam?

Receiver          : I am sorry, I am afraid he is not in at the moment. May I know who is calling, please?

Caller               : This is Mr. Blue. Would it be possible to leave a message for him?

Receiver          : Sure.

Caller               : All right. Would you please tell him that I cannot come to the meeting tomorrow morning?

Receiver          :  Noted. I will convey your message.

 

Answer these questions based on the phone call 2 above!

  1. Who is calling?
  2. Who is receiving the phone call?
  3. To whom does the caller want to speak?
  4. Is the person (he/she wants to speak to) available?
  5. Does the caller leave a message? What is the message?
  6. What is the purpose of the call?

 

ENRICH YOUR VOCABULARY!

Match the English words into Indonesian!

 

Thank you!


Baca Juga:

No comments:

Post a Comment

Komentarlah dengan bijak

Post Unggulan

Museum Benteng Vredeburg Yogyakarta, Wisata Edukasi dan Sejarah

Museum Benteng Vredeburg Yogyakarta, Wisata Edukasi dan Sejarah My Own Property Yogyakarta memang terkenal dengan beragam wisatanya...

Popular Posts